Compare drug prices and get free rx coupons at eDrugSearch.com

Christian Forum

Friendly Christian Forums

Discus specific topics in our friendly Christian forums. 

We know that people will take advantage of the church. Recently, I was in a service where a young woman showed up asking for ‘food’ and I overheard one member saying that the congregation had already helped her once. The woman had sat next to me during the service. She asked me if I could help her with ‘just food.’ I realize that some advise people not to give money to those who are ‘begging’ while others advise that it’s not for us to judge the person but to give if we’re able to give. My thoughts that day were that this woman’s problems go far deeper and she wasn’t just wanting to scam people for money. I tried to focus in on her as an individual and see her spiritual needs but also saw that she had zero self esteem/self respect. 

The fact that she was willing to show up at a church service to beg demonstrates to me that she was willing to endure humiliation, judgment and scrutiny as though that was nothing new to her. How would you treat someone in this situation? 

You need to be a member of Join the #1 Christian Social Network - ChristiansLikeMe.net to add comments!

Join Join the #1 Christian Social Network - ChristiansLikeMe.net

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think like you said her problems probably run much deeper but it isn't up to us to judge. For that point in time, I would have taken her to a restaurant or a grocery store after the service. If given money it might have been used for something else, unfortunately.

• There is a wonderful book called When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert. I've read the book and also attended a 5 week seminar last year. I volunteer in our church running a ministry called The Clothing World and we help the homeless as well as addicts and others who are seeking. This book and the Holy Spirit brought us to a place where we could see changes that needed to happen. We were not always helping, even though our intentions were honorable. Anyway I recommend this book to anyone who works in a ministry like the one I lead. God bless you! 

• What's the one place we are all supposed to be able to go without fear of judgment when we need help? A church! If someone comes asking for food I'm going to feed them, it's not even a thought not to. As for what the church should go - feed them, both physically and spiritually. My church runs a food bank, all are welcome in times of need. They get referrals from social services, police, schools, etc. They give out hundreds of food parcels, preventing people from having to beg in the first place - and I livein a supposedly affluent area! As someone else said, in Matthew 25:40 it says "And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'. 

• )I cannot remember where but I believe there is a place where it says something like if you give to the least of these you give to ME.  Knowing the way my mind is you need to look that one up, but that is the one thing that I keep in the front of my mind when I'm being asked for something.  It is not for me to judge but to share what I have.  Also, I do believe and feel it is more fun to give than to receive.  It gives me an uplifted feeling. 

•  in need or asking for help to the store and let them get what they felt they needed (I am not rich by any means and this got me into trouble at home

• It sounds like you were giving out of your own need the same way the widow of whom Jesus spoke who gave only a small amount and yet it was everything she had. 

• Amanda, first welcome to CLM.  You bring uphas  a subject that I grew up with in the Church that I attended.  It was our practice to keep a "CHurch Pantry" and each month in the bulletin they would put 2 or 3 non perishable items needed to be refilled in the the pantry.  They also took donations to provide milk bread eggs and a little meat.  No questions were ever asked we simply invited them to join us for worship.  As I have grown older I have taken 

• Thanks, Terry. I’m not new to the site. I first joined it in 2016. Life became too much for me and I had to prioritize things. I took a break from most online social networks. My account remained here and all its content. I only had to return to it once I was ready again to participate. 

• True giving is not not based on human feeling but its biblical, when you give, you give because you want to and because you are acting on the word. I think it doesnt matter whether they are taking advantage of it or not in as far as you are giving from the heart because its for the the Glory of God. As it is written that if you give  to least of this people you are giving to God.

• This is a good discussion Amanda.  A thought came to me. You seem to have the gift to motivate.  Perhaps you are suppose to start an outreach of sorts.  Sometimes people are called to do a thing but feel unworthy.  Even Moses at the burning bush thought of himself as unworthy and a bad speaker.  The fact that you started this discussion shows that something in your heart wishes to do something.  Every church group should have an outreach to street people and shutins.  It could be called something like 'The open hand'?  These are just some of my thoughts for the day.  If one wishes to change the world he or she has to start with their own self.

This reply was deleted.

Compare drug prices and get free rx coupons at eDrugSearch.com

Your Donations Are Highly Valued & Appreciated

DONATE TODAY!

Medi-Share: Affordable Christian Health Insurance